Thursday, August 28, 2008

Three Dark Knights...

I feel increasingly burdened by just about everything. For the last three weeks the person I've trained at work has laid some pretty heavy personal stuff on me, I don't know what the status quo is, or if it even exists. But if it's some general standard among humanity, it's declining and on levels that most don't even recognize as a decline.

The family unit as it has existed in years past may not have been as idyllic as it was made out to be, but I don't see how what we have now is any better.

Of the three people I've trained, they all came from single parent/divorced/unmarried homes and were all involved in a second or third relationship, some not even really being in one anymore but have a few kids to take care of on their own.

The sordid details of their lives were more troubling than any dramatic account in any medium (film, song, literature). And the reason that all those problems, issues, failures, and often outright stupidity were so much more distressing than the turmoil and conflict of art is that they are trivial and commonplace.

What's a guy to do?

There is no light that penetrates such infinite darkness, at least...and this is more telling, there is no light that I feel I possess enough of to pass on into such infinite darkness that has more than a fool's chance of bringing peace and light to anyone.

I guess I could sum it up by saying, quit preaching to the choir and listen to some of the people who don't even go to church. And if, after you've listened to everything they have to say you still have something to say...go ahead and say it.

But for right now, I'm going to keep my mouth shut.

2 comments:

Gabby said...

Every decision we as humans make creates our atmosphere (granted some of these decisions are made for us by other humans)ie:parents,society,government.
I believe the reason Christians are called to be light and salt for a lost world is because an atmosphere sustained long enough creates a climate. The world's climate right now is one of despair and hopelessness. Just as it takes many lights to illuminate a city and many teaspoons of salt to saturate an ocean...we too must do our small part in changing the atmosphere...our sustaining it will eventually change the climate! Listening is a start to creating an atmosphere of trust. If the world can trust us, one day perhaps they will trust our God as well. Maintaining an atmosphere of praise for God in our own lives will one day collectively create a climate of worship for Him on earth. We are all worshiping something. Even those with destroyed lives are worshiping. Change a man's worship and his life will be changed. There's nothing wrong with silence for a time. Pray about what to do next! Love ya tons! G

It is difficult to have answers to problems we have never faced. But the ultimate answer to all and for all is GOD.

The Ward Wide Web said...

I'd bet my paycheck this post is the wisest thing you've ever written. I have absolutely nothing to add, you said it perfectly. Take heart - just being there is oftentimes the best thing we can do for one other.