Friday, February 27, 2009

The War on Grace

"...We know that a person is not justified by works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, so we also have believed in Christ Jesus, in order to be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the law, because by works of the law no one will be justified."
- Galatians 2:16 -

The most singular distinctive of Christianity is Grace.

While every other religion, system of belief, philosophy, 12 step program, self-help book tells you what you must do in order to be saved, be cured, succeed, kick the habit, win, etc. the message of the Gospel is totally opposite, and unique.

It's not unsurprising (considering the current state of the world, particularly in relation to Christianity) that this idea of Grace is lost in the ether, the majority of human culture, literature, art, and philosophy exists in opposition to this concept.

The story surrounding the verse in Galatians is one of the earliest attacks (and Paul's defense) on Grace. There was a group of early Christians who said that in addition to faith, obedience to Jewish law was required for justification (being declared "not guilty" by God).

Peter and James, two of the Apostles, were essentially giving in to the influence of this group (known in Scripture as "the circumcision group"), this was hypocritical, since they had both been living a lifestyle that did not strictly follow Jewish law.

Paul intervened, reminding Peter and James that they were saved by Grace. And that justification could not need anything other than grace by faith, because the gift had been bought, and that gift was Grace.

What is Grace?

After consulting my handy theological dictionary (titled Crazy Talk), I found this...

Grace: The free gift in which God gives all-eternal life, forgiveness, purpose, meaning-to human beings, who respond by trying to earn it.

The most important part of this definition is the last line. Not only is the world filled with religions, philosophies, and ideologies that deny Grace-but Christians themselves deny it daily, by trying to earn it.

The problem is that while Christians cognitively understand what Grace is (ask 10 believers to define Grace and 8 will say "God's unmerited favor"), they don't understand it practically. And while there are a lot of reasons for this, the one that interests me the most was revealed by this example:

"If God wanted me to pay for my salvation, it would be like paying my taxes, I would know how much I owed, and I'd pay it. But because I am saved freely, by Grace, there is no limit to what he can ask of me."

The truth is we don't want to comprehend or acknowledge God's grace. We still want to be free of God's authority, and the fact is, our free salvation by grace is a ball and chain. We are slaves to righteousness, by grace.

4 comments:

Bryan Cox said...

M.Ward? I think I have heard some of his stuff, a Buddy Holly cover and something he did with the chick from She and Him. Have you heard of the DoDo's?

Great post by the way, love the definition. People cannot understand being a slave because of grace, because they are blinded by the bondage of sin, and in the Christian's case, impeded by the modern day evangelical law they are slaves to. I am glad you posted I was getting lonely

somekindarobot said...

I'll check out the dodo's, the definition is from this awesome lutheran theological dictionary "Crazy Talk: A Not-So-Stuffy Dictionary of Theological Terms"

My favorite is the definitions of Apostle and Apostolic.

"Apostle: A person who is sent to bring such good news that he or she must be stoned"

"Apostolic: The state of having been sent to bring good news, and of not-yet-being-stoned"

Unknown said...

Hey Andrew--

I saw your comment on The Creation Project and wandered over to your blog. You are hitting *my* nail on the head, with your "War on Grace" posts.

I think I've come to age in a church that unknowingly fought a war on grace--which partially caused me to start doing works to earn the oft quoted "unmerited favor." I can't tell you how many times I've heard that defintion, but not actually understand the reality of grace from God: it sustains me daily and by it *only* am I saved. (Not be acting like I get it and continuing to appease the Christians around by upholding a "holy image." Yuck.)

"The problem is that while Christians cognitively understand what Grace is (ask 10 believers to define Grace and 8 will say "God's unmerited favor"), they don't understand it practically."

Great stuff! Very encouraging.

somekindarobot said...

Glad to hear from you!

Which is another way of saying, glad to see someone reads this besides my old friends and parents. :)