Saturday, January 31, 2009

Week Two

This concludes my second week as an Austinite. Apparently we're too laid back to have any sort of special initiation rites or rules for membership.

After two weeks of riding the bus I have to say I enjoy it, if only for the opportunity to read. I also like the minimal fuel consumption.

Speaking of reading, I finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy. An amazing book, one of the most somber examinations of a post-apocalyptic civilization I've ever read. That may not tickle your fancy, but the book did win the Pulitzer Prize, and is being made into a movie starring Guy Pearce and Viggo Mortensen. It's the best book I've read this year, although it is a little early yet.

My classes are all either interesting or not too difficult to worry me. I really enjoy my government class, where I'm learning a lot about how our system has always been dysfunctional and ineffective.

I visited one of the churches small groups (called city groups here). It looks like I've found a place for us there, everybody has been pretty welcoming.

Speaking of church, I played in the first church football tournament, representing the "Yodas". As our name implied, we were either unathletic (myself) or too old to be playing football with a bunch of college guys (everybody else). We suffered two fairly decisive defeats, but are confident that when Oscar time rolls around, we'll win the church-wide movie trivia tournament, or IQ test.

I've got more homework to do, some Economics and Math (production possibility frontiers and factoring...yay).

I finished the application process for our apartment, here are some sample pictures:



2 comments:

somekindarobot said...

ooo nice...yodas...that is my Andrew :)

<3 Lacey

Gabby said...

Looks nice! Did ya'll get in?