Thursday, September 11, 2008

Confessions of a Journeyman Audiophile...

"Let the great world spin forever,
down the ringing grooves of change"
-A.L. Tennyson-

I'm a month into my conversion to vinyl collecting/converting and I've already discovered that despite it's purist elements, the vinyl movement is really just another way for the American consumer to throw away hundreds of dollars on an "identity". But it's totally not like that for me, I swear.

Now I need a new turntable, which means a reciever to be able to utilize the speakers I bought last month, which means another couple hundred bucks. Or, if I'm lucky, the turntable I'm looking at has a preamp in it already. But this technical jargon is not the stuff of a good blog entry.

I'm just trying to illustrate that with anything you get interested in, if you find yourself throwing a ton of money at it, ask yourself why. I've asked myself, and the truth is that listening to music on vinyl teaches me patience, allows me to appreciate the work of the artists I enjoy more thoroughly, and also repays the music industry for all those mp3's I've downloaded.

Still, as hobbies go, this one is relatively cheap (to collect every record I desire and purchase the eqipment to utilize them I'm looking at less than $2,000). Compared to other types of art collection, that's pretty economical.

I have to remind myself that I'm obsessing over this almost every day, that may sound like it isn't accomplishing much, but it does curb the appetite. Mostly I have to remember that the resources I have under my control need to be guided towards more practical purposes for the time being (I've budgeted this whole thing, something unheard of for me). Lacey manages all the bills, I plan out a detailed and thorough plan to buy a ton of records.

I know somebody sees the irony/outright evil of that situation. I could really manage the money if I applied myself to it, but when I try to harness my energies for something they don't naturally incline themselves to, I find the results at best ineffectual and at worst disastrous.

That isn't a cop-out, it's just the way things have always been with me. I don't think I have any control over what my heart desires to do, or at least, I don't have any right now. If anybody knows some ironclad methods for harnessing uncontrollable and unquantifiable energy, let me know.

2 comments:

Gabby said...

No advise here...you know too well my tastes and utter lack of control!

I can say ... if you are not relying on anyone else to pay your bills and you are giving cash to God and your family is not in need ... then you are allowed the freedom to be the judge of what you do with the rest (in my book) This thought is of course subject to change with my moods.

You really should talk to dad about his vinyl collection (no need buying what you can borrow, and one day will be yours anyway) He has LPs and 45s...Love you even in your obsessions! G

The Ward Wide Web said...

A funny thought. A home-schooled lad like you never had the pleasure of faking a parent's signature on a sick-note for the school nurse (best days of my high school life, other than track meets and band concerts). Are you asking for someone to metaphorically fake a signature for you?

Anyone who is married is going to keep their mouth shut. We know how these things go. These things are between you, Lacey, and the trust fund balance.