Sunday, September 21, 2008

REPENT YOU CHRISTIANS!

The Confession booth idea for next week's outreach event has been in the back of my mind since we (me and Angela) decided to do it. I've put this post together to help others prepare. Preparation of this type is good for any kind of outreach

"Christians who acknowledge Jesus with their lips, 
then walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyles. 
That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable."
- Dc Talk

I really don't like Christian music, mostly because it doesn't exist (Music doesn't have a soul, it can't get saved). But this quote sums up what we're trying to combat with the Confession Booth next weekend.

For those of you who are still unclear about what the confession booth is, essentially, like the confession booth of orthodox faiths, it is a place where you confess sin. The difference between this confession booth and the traditional booth is that those visiting the booth will be confessed to, not do any confessing. We, the confessors who are running the booth, will confess the misrepresentation of Christ we have committed individually and collectively as a church.

What does that mean? 

On a smaller, more personal level, apologizing for being judgmental, sectarian, unfriendly, proud, arrogant, pharisee-ish. On the larger, collective scale, admitting that protesting gay pride parades, abortion clinics, and the Democratic National Convention is not what Jesus is about. That we the body of Christ have spent too many years being the mind and the mouth and almost no time being the hands and heart.

Maybe you don't agree with this idea (that Christianity has been misrepresenting itself for ages). If so the confession booth probably isn't for you. I don't have the time to argue that point here, although I'd be willing to discuss it with anyone who has any questions, or wants to share their opinion.

Here is some of the stuff I'm going to be doing to prepare for manning the booth...

1. Re-Reading The Reason for God: Belief in an Age of Skepticism

Tim Keller's book has some of the best answers to tough questions skeptics ask. If you haven't read it, go get it and read the chapters dealing with objections to faith.

2. Researching Anti-Christian Thought

Do you want to know how Christians are viewed by secular society? Watch an episode of South Park, or the movie Saved. Read the Sinner's Guide to the Evangelical Right by Robert Lanham. Christians are not popular, and why? Asking yourself that question honestly will help prepare you for what you might hear next sunday. We aren't here to win a popularity contest, but if we were living our lives in a Christ-like way, we'd be more than a punch-line  on late night tv.

3. Reading Sections of Blue Like Jazz

This book inspired the whole Confession Booth idea in the first place. Chapter 11 would be a good thing to read in prep for next week, it contains the confession booth story but the whole book is an excellent representation of one man's sanctification (theologispeak for spiritual growth). If you want to know more about loving unloveable people this book is a good place to start.

I won't lie to you (whoever you are) I'm not rock-solid confident about this thing, but my worst fear is not worrying about what I'll say, but whether I'll have anyone to say anything to.

5 comments:

Leigh said...

I agree, my fear is that we will be confessing to each other. But I trust that God has put this on our hearts and will make something of our inadequate selves showing up to fulfill this purpose. I think we will learn more than anyone who sits down to hear our confession, and that we will be released from the burdens of what we are confessing.

I want to confess for religion in politics and politics in religion. I also want to confess and ask for forgiveness for the awful pictures of unborn fetuses being featured on moving billboards around downtown Dallas. They are so disrespectful of the unborn and only show our hate, not our love.

I also want to confess the many times I have agreed with or even been part of a conversation that talked about unbelievers, homosexuals, abortionists and liberals in a context that put them against us (us being Christians) like they are somehow actively scheming against what the Christian community was trying to uphold -- 50s type of wholesome. It was like they were the devil himself instead of just people whom God loves and cares for as much as He loves and cares for me.

Gabby said...

Good Stuff Drew! I am hoping that our willingness to have the booth will speak to the people! Sometimes willingness is an ice breaker.

Thanks for the reading tips! I will be looking for Lanham's book today.

I have so much to confess. Beginning with hatred of my Christian brothers and sisters right before the world's eyes! Then judging the world for the sins I myself was involved in at the same time. The neglect I have shown for the lost is enormous!

I will be praying that we will get to talk to someone! Either way we will pass out the BLJ books and have our signs up and give it a shot! Thanks for ya'lls help in doing this! Pray, Pray, Pray!

Bryan Cox said...

Hey Man,

Great stuff. When are you planning to do this and where? I would love to know, so I can be praying for you and your fellows as it is happening. Oh, and I started reading Chesterton, brilliant stuff.

Cox

somekindarobot said...

bryan: We are having church on the trail at white rock lake. different groups in the church are doing different booths, our pastor plans to hold up a sign that says "I'm not homophobic" or "God loves fags" he hasn't decided which.

it's next sunday between 10 and 3pm

The Ward Wide Web said...

It sounds like you are doing fine for what you want to do. Meeting up with people who need your message, or who merely want to engage, will probably happen with time. You know that I take great pains to remain unbiased about all this, and it seems you take great pains too. As a person who wonders why all people don't gravitate toward skepticism, I admire your form.