Saturday, June 28, 2008

Ben Gibbard's a Calvinist...

Death Cab's new single "I will possess your Heart" was a shocking disappointment when I first heard it. The lyrics, transcribed below, are almost sophomoric in comparison to the nuance and depths Ben Gibbard has penned on albums past. However, I realized the other day, that if you consider this, not some juvenile and cloying romantic love song, but a plea from God to his children on earth...you kinda have to draw the conclusion that Ben Gibbard's a Calvinist. Taken in this light the song sounds like a description of irresistible grace.

How I wish you could see the potential, the potential of you and me
It's like a book elegantly bound, but in a language that you can't read
You gotta spend some time--love, you gotta spend some time with me

There are days when outside your window, I see my reflection as I slowly pass
And I long for this mirrored perspective, when we'll be lovers, lovers at last

You reject my advances and desperate pleas
I won't let you, let me down so easily, so easily
I will possess your heart.

1 comment:

somekindarobot said...

If this is what irresistible grace is oops...I see the song as our relationship with Jesus...he so wants us to "spend some time" with him and we just don't understand...like the language thing in the song...I love the bass line in that song!!

love you...

Lacey