Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Joel Osteen Vs. Rick Warren And The Winner Is...

Satan.

Forgive the hyperbole, first I want to say that I'm as guilty as anyone of judging a movement by it's momentum rather than what motivates it. I've been listening to these guys, pastors of the two biggest churches in America become more and more disconnected from Biblical truth over the last few years. If you want to try and deny it, just look at their interviews with secular media (their respective interviews with Larry King were both saddening) . Matt Chandler hit the pandemic nail on the head when he said,

"Christianity has shifted from being a small movement that impacts the culture to a gigantic impotent one."

I would add "that is mocked by culture" to the end of that quote if only to be symmetrical.
This isn't a call for small house church leaderless Christianity (I've read barna and viola's book Pagan Christianity and it doesn't have an answer regardless of how effective it is at identifying problems).

I wish, like most Christians, not to be thought of as socially, psychologically, or intellectually inferior to the rest of the world. Am I wishing for the equivalent of world peace? Probably. But I would settle for the so called "open-minded" intellectualism that grasps even the most uneducated of our society to actually espouse what they claim to believe.

There's nothing open-minded about writing someone off as a fundamentalist when they say they believe the Bible.

I probably just need to quit bitching and read the Bible more.

No comments: