Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Constantine...

I watched it again. I think I'm a sucker for any movie that portrays the catholic church in a semi-superheroic light. Fighting demons with sacred tap water or yelling in latin, it hits the spot. I really liked the end where Constantine prays for divine assistance...
"I know I'm not one of your favorites, and that I'm not even welcome in your house, but I could use a little attention. Please."
I can definitely identify with that feeling of loneliness. The coolest thing I think is the theological depth of the films thesis. Which is essentially Ephesians 2:8-9
"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast"
Constantine spends his whole life trying to redeem for the mortal sin of his suicide at a young age by deporting demons to hell. He says at one point, "I've been trying to send as many of them back to hell to secure my retirement." I think most Christians at one point or another get sidetracked by trying to earn what's already been given. We may not be waging spiritual warfare in an attempt to earn our way into His good grace but we certainly place a lot of emphasis on morality and piety. Don't wear a hat in church, tithe 10%, don't use four letter words, avoid association with sinners. Some of those things are important, but I think we need to live our lives with the feeling that we've just been given the best birthday, christmas, or graduation present. Think about that euphoric generosity you feel when you recieve something that is deeply satisfying. Checking off lists, crossing t's and dotting i's loses importance pretty quickly.

1 comment:

somekindarobot said...

I should note that when I said that the film's thesis was essentially Ephesians 2:8-9 it really isn't, Constantine saves himself by sacrificing himself for someone else. This is however excellent imagery of a lot of misguided Christian (both Catholic and Protestant) thought.