Saturday, June 28, 2008

The way it works is...

...The train moves, not the station.

The man best remembered for his work on Thomas the Tank Engine (as the magical, miniaturized Conductor) has joined the great gig in the sky. If you were thinking Ringo Starr, cease your mourning, the luckiest Beatle on the planet is still alive and kicking. George Carlin died last Sunday, it's just taken me this long to come up with a fitting tribute to my knowledge of him. My favorite Carlinism has got to be his description of religion, with which I heartily agree.

"Religion - at best - is like a lift in your shoe. If you need it for a while, and it makes you walk straight and feel better - fine. But you don't need it forever, or you can become permanently disabled. Religion is like a lift in the shoe, and I say just don't ask me to wear your shoes. And let's not go down and nail lifts onto the natives' feet."

Religion is of course, as he well knew, either a crutch or a club. If I wasn't crippled I wouldn't want to be offered a crutch and unless I was a masochist I certainly would have no interest in being threatened with a club. I can only hope that Carlin figured out that loving Jesus isn't anything like religion.

1 comment:

Gabby said...

Good stuff. I have seen many of George's performances over the years, only one live. But he had some real issues with religion. It mostly came from his years in catholic school, I understand. I too hope he found the way to Christ while still hating religion. G