Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Jakob Dylan's new album sounds like praise music...

And that coming from me is something of an obscenity. I'm sorry, but if you're Bob Dylan's son and you decide to become a musician...change your mind. I mean what do you expect will happen? That you would actually be able to rise above people saying things like "it sounds pretty decent but nothing like his dad" with this mediocre solo album following your career with a mediocre band?

Of course if it's what he loves to do than he should keep doing it, I just wish he would suck less. The type of generic acoustic guitar on the album is only tolerable when coupled with good-to-great lyrics and tonally gripping vocals. And please, naming a song with an homage to Ray Bradbury (one of my favorite authors), when the song is awful, only makes me more irritated.

I would never want to do anything that my father did, unless I could do it better.

Which is why I am steering clear of the IT industry. Not my cup of tea, and my dad is already very successful doing it, and I want nothing to do with it. Me and my dad hung out at Starbucks a few weeks ago and it was a lot of fun, it was also the first time I had seen any sort of youthful joy or energy in him in ages. If that's what working on computers for a living does for you, no thanks. I'll keep my soul. Of course, he's got a million other reasons to be drained all the time, well, 9 anyway.

I need to get back in school if only so I can be refreshed on how to compose a sentence of length without using six or seven commas (DJ, a little help?)

No comments: