Monday, June 30, 2008

My Momma Always Said...

...Be sure your sin will find you out. It's a shame that I never believed her. I always thought, when I got caught, lesson learned - I won't get caught that way again. I would plan my lies more carefully next time, be sure to cover my tracks or bribe witnesses (brothers and sisters). Next time I had to lie to do what I wanted, I'd be ready for you Mom.

Of course I always got caught the same way.

Derek Webb says that the best thing for all people would be to have their worst and darkest evil broadcast to everyone they knew, know, or ever will know on the evening news. Just consider the freedom of it, no longer having to try to be a better liar, everyone already knowing who you really are. Terrifying isn't it?

In an attempt to affirm that statement I'm going to look back on that three day period when Lacey told me she might be pregnant, scattering my fantasies, dreams, and ambitions to the wind; forcing me to come face to face with my life, something I'd been carefully avoiding for some twenty odd years.

I'll be writing this one in segments, consider this an introduction to an HBO miniseries. It certainly won't be any less dark, sordid, or human than anything on cable's most notorious network. Although it will probably be less entertaining. Anyway, here goes...the opening paragraph.

There are moments in your life that give you pause. The world doesn't actually slow down around you, it would be more accurate to say that you come to a screeching halt and life, like the ball in Raiders of the Lost Ark, keeps getting closer and closer. The problem is I wasn't Indiana Jones, a man on a mission with years of training and experience, the body of an athlete with the mind of a brilliant archaeologist. I didn't have a leather hat, whip or loosely buttoned shirt that exposed my sweat-matted chest hair. Shit, I didn't even have chest hair. Much less any direction, or idea of what to do with what was looming before me.

3 comments:

Gabby said...

Wow! Andrew Prewitt you can really put two words together. I hope to have a snazzie blog like yours soon. As for this segment of the story...I can tell you that putting it all down with ink is a true force of God. I mean it will change you. It has changed me and I am only truly scratching the suffice of my life. Tending to these things at 22 will take much less time and heart break than at 42. Some will be condemning, others supportive; neither matter at all. This you do for you! And you will reap all the benefits of it! I love you and am so very proud of you. You are an amazing young man.
Gabby

Gabby said...

d the whole thing through to the music this time...awesome!

Gabby said...

sometimes the first word doesn't come out on the screen...it was READ in the last comment.