Saturday, June 14, 2008

My Boyfriend's Back...

I don't know if jokes that are give off that homo false positive are cool with everybody, they make me laugh loud and long. But my good friend Evan really is back on 10 day leave and right now I kinda wish tomorrow wasn't Father's Day so I could kick it with him the whole day.

Evan's back,
from boot camp,
Drill Instructors are
loud, harsh, and mean
he said, he had fun anyway.

I don't know if I'll always write in what vaguely looks like free verse, but I'm probably going to start posting all blog entries in that format unless they are purely informational.

I was having a fairly energetic debate with a gay coworker (he definitely puts the boy in flamboyant) about whether gays and straights were different at a a deeper level than where they put their...(well you get the idea, and if you don't you're blessed with a rare innocence I wouldn't want to corrupt so stop reading my blog).

Anyway, Irving was saying
(After I asked what it meant to be gay)
"It means to be cool"
(I know I don't dress,
with the colors of Dr. Suess books)
"But straights can be cool too"

This format won't work for this particular entry, so Irving (who is an airhead, well that's untrue, he's a cokehead...seriously the guy does blow like it's 1994) who can't formulate a thought or complete a sentence, attempts to further explain himself. I argued using the example of celebrities (best way to debate with a fag is to use pictures, preferably pictures he's...seen) that the ratio of cool straights to cool gays is the same as the portion of straights to gays (like 80-20 according to the census bureau of my imagination). I mean how many cool gays are there? One of his responses was George Michael, at this point I knew I had him on the ropes...

Of course I eventually had to get back to work and couldn't deliver the one-two punch. But my point is that how many of my fellow readers (I really hope there's at least five of you, but that may be too much to ask) especially the Christian ones, actually talk to gays? And I mean, after you find out they're gay and they make some not too subtle jokes about the, let's call it mechanics, of their nature?

I have two gays I talk with regularly and one is a very mature adult who, if I hadn't met a gay like that, I would probably still consider them caricatures of humanity, like serial killers or child-molesters. And then I know Irving, poster-gay for gayness. He's the reason why people like me used to make up slogans like "Homosexuality is Gay" which still makes me laugh, but seriously, the sinfulness of homosexuality is not a greater sinfulness than that of lust, greed, pride, gossip, slander, or sloth.

Matt Chandler (great pastor of The Village Church) says "I grew up in a denomination where the church's unofficial-official position on gays was that the HIV virus was God's judgment on them, now do see what ground we have to make up?" (Now if you're reading this and thinking, "Hell yeah, them fags brought that on themselves," I really don't have anything to say to you, I would probably consider you further from salvation than any homosexual)

I guess that Christians who resort to "outreach" tactics like picket lines at abortion clinics and trackbombing (another Chandler term, the guy is the madnotes) have forgotten that in Paul's trifecta of faith, hope, and love the greatest is love and self-righteousness isn't on the list. I forget it all the time.

I'm working up an entry to address what went through my mind in that first week when I found out my girlfriend was pregnant, it's something I want to address, that week was a complete emotional roller coaster.

I'll try to start finishing thoughts in these entries sometime, but right now I've got to stop and go to bed.

2 comments:

The Ward Wide Web said...

What is homosexuality anyway? And why should it matter to people who don't feel it or do it? It's sad that straight people have to "get over" something so irrelevant. In a just world, it would be unnecessary. Objectively speaking, it is a minority issue...churches and other communities use the "foreign-ness" of gays to unite their congregation/community behind something. It's an easy, machiavellian type of power-trick. Yes, gay sex is gross...as is most sex between most people...if you stop for a moment to imagine it (Alan Greenspan and Andrea Mitchell? I'm all about banning that...ewww). My guess is, is that as soon as it became unfashionable to throw around the N word, people started digging up Romans 123 and the other two verses that condemn gays. Gays make great straw-men targets for many of the reasons you mentioned in your blog. Their marginalization breeds esteem issues that begets weak, often ridiculous behavior. If churches want to attack the weak, that's their business (oh, right, unless you have one of the stricken in your own family). Next time some pastor goes off on fags, ask him (or her?) about the relationship between Jonathan and David - I mean, other than the lack of sodomy, what is so un-gay about that couple? Real answers to that question could lead to some genuine understanding. Good luck with it.

somekindarobot said...

The simplest answer to your second question (I don't feel qualified to answer the first) is that if you remove the motives of malice and bigotry from christians we are still called to love the unregenerate lost people of the world. I'll be the first to admit that 99% of the time christians fail dismally at demonstrating love to the lost, that's the main reason this blog is called love for the loveless. Anyway, it matters because homosexuality is at the least habitual unrepentant sin that damns the sinner. We're called to love them that they might be saved. So, even though it rarely looks that way, it should matter to christians because they are supposed to love sinners.