Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Denominational Debauchery: Introduction

I was considering spending the week expounding on the thesis I hinted at in the Richard Dawkins interview post, but since I got no comments on that one, I'm going to just spend the week making fun of denominations. Why? Several reasons.

I sincerely believe that the basis for all denominational division and combativeness is the sin of pride. That whatever other motivations we may claim, the truth is that while most people will constantly church hop, they rarely cross denominational lines. The reason? Ignorant traditionalist pride...basically Party spirit for church people.

The only hope for any sort of unity will be the destruction of that pride and a return to humble return to the Gospel as our foundation (without addition or subtraction). And the only way Jesus ever humbles someone who is standing on the shaky foundation of pride is to openly mock them. Don't you just love how you can justify anything you want and still sound Biblical?

I don't think any of you are going to read Robert Lanham's book The Sinner's Guide to the Evangelical Right even though you probably should, if only to learn some humility, so consider this a far less humorous version of that book.

Before I start pointing out some of the issues with denominations (like any good humorist, I'm an equal opportunity offender, I won't finish up the week by holding up one denomination as the one everybody should join) I want to say that behind the facade of attacking denominations my real target will be the crippling pillars of blind faith, arrogant tradition, and doctrinal fractiousness that permeates all denominations.

Also, don't think that because I'll be spending the majority of the time finding fault that I'm blind to the fact that all denominations of done some good in one way or another. Nobody needs to read this with the idea that I'm trying to get anyone to change their denominational affiliation. Just realize that the best answer to any question regarding your faith never mentions your denomination (because no person outside your denomination knows anything good about what your group has done, but the media has given a mountain of evidence that shows the damage your group has done). So, hopefully your answer to all questions regarding faith start and end with Jesus.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

IM GETTING A LIL BEHIND ON MY READING BUT I WILL CATCH UP SOON BUT I DO LIKE THE BLOGS AND WHEN I HAVE ? I WILL EMAIL YOU THANX BROTHER!

ghardym said...

Andrew,
Loved meeting you on Sunday. I will start checking your blog on a regular basis but I really don't do this very often.
I also will start watching the videos you have posted from the atheist. I haven't paid much attention to them (atheists in general)lately. I tend to be a little political and this is the year for that.
If you want a topic for a blog in the future then I suggest comparing the sequence of events from the geologic time-table to the days in creation. I don't understand how this book could have been written so long ago when all of the intelligent geologists were born within the last two centuries.(I'm being facetious but I realized you don't know me that well so thought I would explain.)