Friday, July 4, 2008

Part Four: Old+New+Borrowed+Blue

“Nowadays it’s hip not to get married,
I’m not invested in being hip.”
- John Lennon

So, seeing as how we loved each other (I won’t discuss how little we knew about real love…yet), Lacey was pregnant, and we were all good Protestants (although I guess the Catholic solution would be the same), we decided to get married.

This is where I have to take a moment to say that my mother-in-law, Angela, has a reputation of being very controlling and manipulative.And the reason she has this reputation is because, well, she is. Let me also say (before she reaches across the ether of cyberspace to pimp-slap me) that God made her that way for exactly the next few months before our wedding. I doubt there was another person who could have put together the wedding that she did in the time that she did (everyone who helped her, don’t feel snubbed, this is written by the groom, the most clueless of individuals about the details of wedding preparation) .

Needless to say the ceremony and reception have been called by several people I invited “the best wedding I’ve ever been to.” Now I don’t know what sort of wedding Lacey fantasized about having, or what wedding I would have wanted, but given that we had no time to waste over what we wanted, what we got was a better wedding than we could ever ask for, one we certainly didn’t deserve. The location was great, the music spot-on, the food delicious and the weather perfect.

I will never be able to repay any of the debts I acquired in regards to what so many people did for me and Lacey in those early months.

Editor’s note: Thanks to Ben & Ashley’s wedding invitation for this chapter’s quote.

1 comment:

Gabby said...

You almost died and you didn't even know it. JK, this is an awesome way to say thank you. I wouldn't change a thing...anything.