Sunday, July 6, 2008

I Pity The Fool...

Lacey and I are going over this application for Criswell College, and there is a section where I’m supposed to state my vocational goal…for some reason, none of the options look that appealing, consider the following:

Religious Journalism? Nobody reads anything anymore, and I don’t really feel like trying to convert a bunch of second rate film critics and crotchety Dear Abby types.

Media Ministry? No, I don’t want to make Veggie Tales or cheesy Left Behind Movies. Although, being the guy who came up with F.R.O.G wouldn’t be too bad.

Recreational Ministry? What the hell is this? Play kickball for Jesus?

Military Chaplain? Uhhhhhhhh…no, you join the military to kill people, not to hold funeral services for every faith imaginable…

“Private Johnson was a follower of the First Church of Latter Day Freebasers?”

“I have just the right service for him.”

Evangelist? Hmmm, a little better, but planning to go into evangelism at the undergrad stage seems like setting yourself up for a sexual harassment lawsuit twenty or thirty years later.

Other? Yes, I want to be a bi-sexual acoustic guitar playing fitness guru who drives a Prius and only eats food from companies that somehow use the proceeds to cure AIDS and solve world hunger…for Jesus.

I’m going to have to take this to the top…

“Jesus, why do all the jobs you have for your people suck?”

“Dude, have you read about my career?”

All this makes me wonder, why does our team have so many losers on it? It’s like Jesus wants to do all the work himself or something…

If I were to be honest, I’d include this in my entrance essay. Probably under the topic labeled “Struggles in your Christian walk” now there’s a vocation I can believe in.

4 comments:

Gabby said...

Just pick one for now and then change your mind later or say you lied later. That's what I always do. Or better yet, pick them all. Be universal and tolerant! Hope our Sunday school leader reads this!

somekindarobot said...

My thoughts exactly, at least that last sentence...

Gabby said...

Pray,Pray,Pray...God has brought you this far...He will tell you what you need to do with the burning He has placed in your heart! Listen.

Anonymous said...

:)

criswell?

we should talk more dear brother.

and you should write books.

lots of them.